Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle...

I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle...
Current mood:awestruck
Category: Writing and Poetry
Wednesday, June 11, 2008


After waiting untold hours, in multiple lines, to meet and greet with one of my top-five-of-all-time-favorite authors (David Sedaris) last night, I managed only to mumble a politically correct thank you and nod and smile dumbly as he chatted away and dropped his John Hancock into two of my books.

Figures.

While normally miles from what I'd consider comfortably glib, I can usually manage intelligent conversation, even when faced with semi-celebrity and/or uncomfortable situations. Apparantly the effeminate author with the slight lisp and memoir-littered past inspired in me an entirely new kind of intimidation. Was it the gray Champion socks with brown dress shoes? The sorbet-colored striped shirt? The odd absence of any visible gray hair at his temples?

The easy eyecontact a self-professed wall flower made with his legions of fans (can 750 people be considered a legion?) was enviable. And the small "ummms" and "oops"s during his 40+minute reading were endearing - even when they appeared mired in stories of ugly americans and tales of the Stadium Pal. The man stayed sedentary for hours making small talk, signing autographs and showing a genuine interest in his fans. Just additional reinforcement (as if any was needed) that Sedaris' position on my favorites list is more than deserved.
Currently reading:
When You Are Engulfed in Flames
By David Sedaris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...