Monday, September 17, 2007

Parenting without a Net...or...Social NetWorking

Parenting without a Net...or...Social NetWorking
Category: Life
monday, september 17, 2007


You know that old saying: It takes a Village to raise a Child?

They're right.

Having only recently begun to re-discover the whirlwind that is "attempting to have a social life"...two toddlers and a newborn firmly in tow...I've realized something:
It is ALMOST impossible without a net. Or rather...a network.
The past two weekends have evolved into what, in my head, i've officially termed my parents club out. And, embarrassingly enough, i've been more social in the past two weekends WITH my kids than I have in the past year without them.

Am I insane, you ask?
Maybe...but not because I choose to take three kids under the age of four out of the house each weekend.

The thing that makes this possible are other parents in the same boat. I had a sharp moment of insight this weekend while at the Irish Festival, beer in hand, baby in carrier, seated indian-style with two friends while our five collective kids whirled around us in a small tasmanian devil dust-storm. I would never have attempted this by myself a month ago, hell, even a year ago. And then my kids would have missed out on an afternoon of moon-bouncing, football throwing, duck ponds, sucker trees, scottish eggs and musicians in kilts (oh baby...musicians in kilts...woohoo!),

Horse shows and greek festivals and step dancers...oh my!

I worried for a good long while how I was going to manage this on my own, when the answer was staring me right in the face the whole time.
I don't have to.
I count my friends as some of the most important people in my life.
They are my anchors, my support structure, my family.

...so thank you everyone...I really really couldn't do this without you...


Currently listening:
Pipers of Distinction series
By Gordon Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...